KAAD-Foundation Peter Hünermann
In December of 2008 the Peter-Hünermann-Foundation (“KAAD-Stiftung Peter Hünermann“) was founded in close cooperation with the Diocese of Rottenburg-Stuttgart. It was named after its first benefactor and long-time KAAD-President. The foundation shall support our educational and alumni programs. It will mainly respond to initiatives presented by scholarship holders and alumni (network building), for which otherwise KAAD could not provide any funds. The seed capital was around € 400,000.
Beginning in 2011 the foundation annually awards an alumni prize. The aim is to recognize and honor outstanding academic achievements that have a relevant social impact and/or extraordinary (voluntary) civic engagement of alumni. KAAD partners and alumni associations from around the world may propose candidates. The decision will be made by the directory of the foundation, a representative of the Academic Council and an elected representative of the KAAD scholars.
This year’s award (the fifth in total) of the Peter-Hünermann-Foundation went to the painter Misheck Masamvu from Zimbabwe. It is the first time an artist is awarded. KAAD and its foundation organized an exhibition during the annual academy, presenting a dialogue-oriented comparison with the Romanian scholar and painter Sebastian Hosu. Masamvu was especially honoured for his innovative contribution to a new school for painters in his home country and his support of talented young professionals in Southern Africa. In his laudatory speech, Dr. Marko Kuhn, Head of Africa Department, especially acknowledged Masamvu’s loyalty towards his home country and the support of particularly the simple population struggling with hard economic and political conditions.
The joint exhibition, titled „Humans – Dreams“ (see leaflet and speech from Prof. Dr. Ulrich Engel OP on the vernissage), found biographical depth focus on Friday afternoon at the academy throughout a panel discussion with both painters: “Seeing ourselves” – the title of the the panel – discussed the artists’ existential and artistic migration between home country and an educational and art market in Europe as well as self-image and external perception created through the migration.
- In 2018, Dr. Rafal Dutkiewicz from Poland won the annual prize. The award was presented during the Annual Academy.
- Financial support of the International Convention in Manila, 23. -26. November 2018: Travel expenses for delegates from partner committees and alumni associations from Africa, Latin America, the Middle East and Eastern Europe.
- Financial support of the conference in Porto Alegre/PUC (which was also an international meeting of the expert group “Justicia y Paz”, 23.-26. August): Travel expenses from alumni from other Latin American countries.
- Receptions in cooperation with the local bishops and in connection with a seminar abroad on the occasion of the 60th anniversary in Harare, Addis Ababa and Nairobi.
- In 2017, the Alumnus and paediatric cardiologist Dr. Franz Peter Freudenthal from Bolovia has received the prize during the Annual Academy.
- Financial support of the international conference “Religion – Conflict – Conflict Management” in Lebanon), 7. -10. June 2017, in particular the excursion and travel costs.
- Financial support of the conference „Driving sustainable economic development in West Kalimantan through education and training“, mainly organised by the first foundation prize winner Stephanus Mulyadi, 7. – 11. June 2017 (travel costs of Asian Alumni).
- Financial support of the KASHA seminar (Alumi Association “Horn of Africa”) for a seminar lasting several days in Hawassa, 7. – 10. June 2017 (Resource protection and sustainable agriculture).
- Financial support of the Alumni Conference „Repensar el desarrollo: nuevos caminos para una convivencia solidaria de la comunidad global” (based on the encyclical „Laudato si‘“), Sa. Fe/Argentina, 20./21. October 2017 (Financial support in particular for the participation of alumni from all over Latin America).
- In 2016, the Alumnus Misheck Masamvu, artist from Zimbabwe, has received the prize during the Annual Academy.
- Financial support of the publication of Latin American scholarship holders and alumni “Pluralismo e interculturalidad en América Latina en tiempos de globalización” (published by Grama, Buenos Aires; the publication was presented at the Annual Academy 2016).
- Financial support for the conference of the Ukrainian Alumni Association: “Importance and influence of the internationalisation of education on regional development on the eastern border of the EU”, Chernivtsi, 26-29 May 2016: Travel and accommodation costs for participants from other Eastern European countries.
- Financial support of the KASSA Seminar (Alumni Association of Scholars in Southern Africa) for a seminar lasting several days in December 2016 (excursion from Zimbabwe to Mozambique).
- In 2015, Dr. Hiyam Marzouqa from Palestine won the annual prize. The award was presented during the Annual Academy.
- Financial contribution to the excursion costs of the Water Workshop in the light of the seminar “Water Management in Climate and Social Change” (May 2015)
- Financial support of the Alumni Conference: “El Rol de la Universidad en la Gestión de la Salud Pública” (June 2015, in Sa Fe/Argentina). In particular, alumni from the Andean countries and Brazil were given the opportunity to participate in order to establish a KAAD-specific, health-related specialist network.
- Financial support of the joint seminar of the Alumni Associations Georgia and Armenia in Erewan, Armenia (October 2015)
- Financial support of the KASHA seminar (Alumni Association “Horn of Africa” in Ethiopia) for a seminar lasting several days (November 2015)
- Financing the philosophical-theoloical workshop in remembarance of the 20th anniversary of P. Georges Anawati’s death. The event was organized by KAAD-Alumnus Dr. Haggag Ali in connection with an international conference in Cairo (6th / 7th June) with scientists from different Arabic countries.
- Financial support of the international conference of KAAD in Jawa Barat, Indonesia (24th – 26th October 2014). The event was held under the topic of “ASEAN 2015” with a high excess of the Alumni Association KONTAK. (The support from the foundation was mainly supposed for venue and international speakers).
- Financing of the conferences of the Alumni Association Guatemala at the Univ. Rafael Landívar. The events (3rd – 5th November 2014) dealt with topics of methodologies in social sciences and especially enabled Alumni from Ecuador and Bolivia to participate.
IBAN: DE48 6039 1310 0005 4040 02
reference: KAAD-Stiftung Peter Hünermann KST 531160
Download Flyer of Peter Hünermann Foundation (German)
For more information concerning the foundation, please contact the Secretary General of KAAD, Dr. Hermann Weber: weber(at)kaad.de.