You can apply for KAAD Scholarship Programme 1 if you:
- come from and currently reside in a developing or emerging country in Africa, Asia, the Middle East or Latin America,
- have a university degree and professional experience in your home country
- would like to pursue a Master's degree, a PhD or other postgraduate studies, or are planning a post-doc or a research stay (2-6 months for academics) at a German university
- are of Catholic denomination (or generally belong to a Christian denomination, especially for applicants from the Near and Middle East). Applicants of another religion can be funded if they are proposed by Catholic partners in view of a documentable willingness to engage in interreligious dialogue.
- have German language skills prior to entry (KAAD can provide for a German language course of max. 6 months in Germany).
- an above-average performance potential for studies or research,
- orientation of studies or research towards a permanent reintegration into the respective home region (otherwise the scholarship is considered a loan),
- religious and social commitment or willingness to engage in inter-religious dialogue
- German language skills of at least level B1 (or at least A2 in the case of English-language degree programmes) for participation in our compulsory educational programme. Preparatory German courses in the home country are expected. In addition, there is the possibility to apply for a language course (full-time or during studies).
KAAD works with focus and partner countries in your region. Applications are proceeded via our partner committees. Applications from other countries can only be considered in exceptional cases.